On February 1 two inexperienced and naïve British travelers are setting out on an epic journey across asia, this is their story...

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Badgers

Mange tout,

Hope your all okay. We're back together, and we've made it to vietnam, Yay. 5 countries in 5 months, not bad really.

So, since I left Hong Kong I've stayed in 2 places; Guilin, which was'nt really that exciting, it did have quite pretty hills, described by Garlen as nipples, just surging up from nowhere. But, on the train journey I ate what can be only described as the most putrid food the world has ever produced. I thought it was meant to be chicken as there was a massive cartoon chicken dancing on the plastic wrapper, but it tasted more like rotten fishy catfood. The two people in the cabin left to sit in the hall when I opened it and I kept waking during the night with the taste of fish in my mouth or a fishy didget drifting dangerously close to my nose.

The next place I stayed was called Yangshou. It was nice, I was a bit bored at first as I was on my own still, but I hired a bike and cycled around paddy fields, I didn't see any Irish people though, and went on a bamboo raft. But, after a few days I met an English guy staying in my room (he looked like one of the Kings of Leon, complete with a handlebar tash, but sounded like Johny Vegas) and we got drunk with two American girls and ended up at a bathroom party. It all got a bit too much like uni. The next day we all went to a cave where we were shown stalagmites (or were they stalagtites?) that were supposed to look like various things. As we went round the caves the things got more an more obsure and more difficult to recognise (as hard as I tried I couldn't see 'monkeys climbing a tree' or 'the pigs ear') But the cave was great because it had a mud pool and slide and also we had to enter it on a boat.

We got drunk again that night, but I had the excuse that England were playing. And the next day me and my hangover made our way to meet Garlen and go to Vietnam. Haven't done much so far apart from having a near death experience on a motor bike - three people on one bike speeding through the streets of Hanoi just isn't good. And, suprise suprise, we went to a museum, but this one was supposed to be really good according to our guide book. It wasn't, when oh when will we learn.

anyway laterz,
Damo xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home